Monday, December 01, 2008

Christmas Countdown


It is exactly 25 days until Christmas. I’m feeling overwhelmed by what I did not finish this year, as most years. I don’t get too upset by the shopping, wrapping, baking or planning. I tend to dwell on the pile of books I still haven’t read! One way that I deal with this yearly dilemma is to take out my special stack of Christmas books and place them around the house.

I’ve been collecting Christmas books for many years. I have pop-ups, many different illustrators for The Night Before Christmas, A Christmas Carol by Dickens, and some absolute classics that I delight in every year. I still remember the first time I read Chris Van Allsburg’s Polar Express. There I stood with my son next to me, tearing up in the store, as I read the book. We went home with it that very day.

Start your own memories of the holiday with a special book collection. Come to the library and look over old and new books. You could read a new book every night. Along with the reading tradition, start a paper chain in red, green, gold, silver or white paper. The chain can represent the days until Christmas or the number of books you read.

This month we have a family storytime on December 10th to celebrate many different holiday customs. Come prepared to enjoy latkes with applesauce, Lucia buns, and a few other delicious items. The stories will feed your imagination; the food will enhance the experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Several library Friends groups and other charitable organizations will host Holiday book sales this month. These often feature new or nearly-new books of gift-giving quality.

Some groups also have bake sales, music, entertainment and other festivities to get folks in the spirit. Some even have Children's book sale days, where local girl scouts help the children shop and wrap their gift book purchases!

My husband and I designed and maintain BookSaleFinder.com where you can look up where book sales are being held in your area.

Helen Oram
Book Sale Finder - the Online Guide to Used Book Sales